All products featured in this article have been independently selected by our editors. The prices mentioned in this article are indicative and subject to change. When you purchase through our sales links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For several seasons, curly hair has made a remarkable comeback. In the wake of a return to naturalness and undulating mermaid-style hair, wavy or curly manes flourish on the catwalks of fashion shows (as at Tom Ford on gigi And Bella Hadid) and red carpets. TikTok, as always, is not to be outdone as the spectacular before/after videos of curly hair routines continue to go viral…
How to find your natural curls and sublimate them?
1. Determine your hair texture
Several things can help you know the nature of your hair: if beach waves appear very easily in summer with sea salt for example. Or if your hair tends to swell with humidity or frizz when it dries naturally. Looking at your family tree or going back to your childhood photos can also often provide valuable insights. It should also be noted that hair texture can change throughout life and it is normal in this case to have to relearn how to tame them.
The ultimate test is to partially adopt certain gestures that wavy, curly or frizzy hair loves. On wet and clean hair, distribute a cream or a special curl spray. Then comes detangling with a large comb or brush with teeth that defines the curls. The trick is then to scrunch your hair: this consists of pressing the locks with your palms from the bottom of the tips upwards to help the curls to form. Finger curls can also be formed by twisting strands of hair. Applying an aloe vera gel as a finish will seal in the moisture and lightly fix the hairstyle. Then dry with a diffuser from top to bottom or in the open air. If once dry, the hair has taken on a wavy or curly movement, it’s won.
2. A visit to the hairdresser is essential
If you have curly hair, an adapted hair routine is necessary. Bad habits taken in the past can damage the hair fiber and give it a shape far from that which it could have naturally. For those who straighten their hair every day (sometimes without heat protectant), it is even possible that you have to wait for the hair to grow back to rediscover its natural texture again. Some people use the big chop which involves cutting off all damaged hair to make way for healthy regrowth of curly hair at the roots. For all those who are not ready to make this radically effective choice, the alternative is to cut your ends regularly and adopt a suitable cut. This is to help curls to form by relieving them of superfluous hair mass. Food supplements and care will be your best allies to stimulate growth.
3. Detoxify, nourish and hydrate
Another important step is to detoxify the hair and scalp. The continuous use of unsuitable products or of bad composition can lead to a smothering of the hair fiber and in this case it is interesting to start from scratch with a deep purification. Attention, it is not a question of stripping the hair but of operating a respectful and gentle thorough cleaning. A clarification with clay or a detox treatment like that of Loly’s Secrets will do wonders. Depending on the product chosen, we can then leave on a nourishing and/or moisturizing mask adapted to the problem of the hair. We also apply protein-based treatments such as keratin or spirulina occasionally to strengthen and repair.
Actions to ban
- Rub the hair in a towel. This is a very bad idea for any type of texture, but even more so for wavy or curly hair because it undoes the curls and creates frizz. It is advisable to favor a microfiber towel or a cotton T-shirt and to gently scruncher. For express drying while boosting curls, add a diffuser tip to the hair dryer.
- Wash them too often. Here, everything will depend on the texture of the hair and the way of life. Due to their shape, curly or wavy hair tends to be drier because the sebum secreted by the scalp has a harder time reaching the ends and nourishing them sufficiently. The shampoos will be spaced out according to the place of residence, the pollution and the sports practice. In any case, it is better to choose a mild shampoo.
- Style your hair when it’s dry. This separates the curls and causes the hair to fluff up. It is better to moisten them beforehand with water and then use a cocktail of active ingredients that will bring them back into shape.
- Using heating devices is not forbidden even if it is preferable to avoid them as much as possible. If, however, you want to straighten your hair occasionally or curl some locks that are still struggling to take the bend, you always do it with a heat-protective spray.
- Sleep with your hair down. This can be a bad idea and risks undoing the curls. It is advisable to tie its lengths at the top of the head. A silk pillowcase is also a must-have.
More than beauty on Vogue.fr:
Hair trends: the ultimate 4-step guide to perfect curls this summer
Curly hair: we found the perfect accessory to have curls without heat
Hairstyle trends: 7 cuts that we will see everywhere this summer
Even more Vogue France on video: