USA

Alec Baldwin charged again in fatal shooting on ‘Rust’ set

(CNN) — A New Mexico grand jury has indicted actor Alec Baldwin on charges related to a fatal shooting on the set of the 2021 film “Rust,” according to Santa Fe County court documents.

Baldwin was charged with two counts of manslaughter. The first charge is described in court documents as “careless use of a firearm” and the second charge as manslaughter without due care or caution, which is detailed as “conduct with a complete disregard or indifference to the safety of others.”

“We look forward to a court date,” Baldwin’s attorneys, Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro, told CNN in a statement Friday.

Baldwin’s defense had previously maintained their client’s innocence.

During rehearsals on the film set, a gun held by Baldwin fired live ammunition, killing cameraman Halina Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza. In a previous interview with CNN, Baldwin denied pulling the trigger.

The manslaughter charge Baldwin faced was dropped last year, with prosecutors saying in a statement at the time that due to “new facts” they were “unable to proceed under current time constraints and the facts and evidence currently presented by authorities.” ” in this case.

A law enforcement source told CNN that in April of last year, authorities decided to drop the charges after learning that the gun involved in the shooting may have been modified. However, prosecutors noted that the case may be reopened at a later date.

In October, prosecutors said “additional facts have come to light that lead us to believe Mr. Baldwin is criminally responsible for the death of Helena Hutchins” and said a grand jury must decide whether to re-indict the actor.

The shooter, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, also faces manslaughter charges in the case and is scheduled to go to trial in February.

CNN’s Elizabeth Wagmeister contributed to this report.

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *