During the debates of the Sejm, a banner appeared in the plenary chamber, in which the government was blamed for the death of Poles due to COVID-19
In the last 24 hours, 16,173 new confirmed cases of coronavirus have arrived in Poland. The number of infections in the world last week increased by 55%. compared to the previous week. Meanwhile, Dr. Anthony Fauci said there is no way to eliminate COVID-19 from society.
Report of the Day – we summarize the most important information about the coronavirus pandemic and its consequences.
COVID-19 – new data from the Ministry of Health
- We have 16,173 new, confirmed cases of the coronavirus, the Ministry of Health announced on Wednesday;
- A further 684 patients with COVID-19 have died;
- There are 17,155 COVID-19 patients in hospitals, including 1,682 patients connected to ventilators;
- 30,781 beds and 2,790 ventilators were prepared for COVID-19 patients;
- The ministry said that 183,295 people were in quarantine. So far, 3,741,583 infected have recovered.
SEE: Coronavirus. New cases of infections in Poland. COVID-19 Patient Data, Wednesday, January 12
The left wants to proceed with the law on compulsory vaccinations. A banner was developed in the Sejm
- Left MPs, Marcelina Zawisza and Marek Rutka, called on Wednesday that the draft on the obligation to vaccinate should be submitted to the Sejm;
- They recalled that the number of people who died due to COVID-19 exceeded 100,000;
- During the speech of MP Zawisza, a banner appeared in the plenary in which the government was blamed for the death of Poles from COVID-19.
SEE: The Left wants to proceed with the law on compulsory vaccinations. A banner was developed in the Sejm
Prof. Horban: Legal mechanisms must be in place to compel people to vaccinate
- Legal mechanisms should be introduced to force vaccinating people who do not want to vaccinate – said on Wednesday the prime minister’s chief advisor on COVID-19 and the chairman of the Medical Council, Prof. Andrzej Horban;
- He explained that “compulsory vaccination means that the state administration, the medical administration, must organize all vaccinations in such a way that they are free, accessible and possible”.
SEE: Prof. Andrzej Horban: Legal mechanisms should be introduced to force people to vaccinate
EMA: Initial studies confirm the effectiveness of Omikron vaccines
- Initial studies confirm the efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines against infection with the Omikron variant;
- They show that these preparations largely protect against severe disease and hospitalization;
- The effectiveness of vaccines in the prevention of symptomatic COVID-19 is lower with Omikron than with other strains of the coronavirus;
- At the same time, they confirm that the COVID-19 vaccines available on the European market provide protection against hospitalization and the severe course of the disease.
SEE: Coronavirus. EMA: Initial studies support the efficacy of vaccines against the Omikron variant
WHO: an increase of 55% coronavirus infections in the world
- The number of coronavirus infections in the world last week increased by 55%. compared to the previous week;
- However, the number of deaths from COVID-19 remained at a similar level, reports the WHO;
- The dominant variant of SARS-CoV-2 remains Omikron;
- Between January 3 and 9, over 15 million coronavirus infections were diagnosed worldwide, and over 43,000 died. infected people, WHO reported.
SEE: WHO: 55% increase coronavirus infections in the world. Omikron dominates
Spain. 15 million sick leaves during a pandemic
- During the two years of the pandemic, Spain had 15.2 million sick leaves, of which over 5 million were due to COVID-19;
- Health centers are overloaded;
- Employers suspect abuse;
- The costs of employee absences in 2020 alone, including production suspension, amounted to the equivalent of 9 percent. Spanish GDP.
SEE: Spain. 15 million sick leaves during a pandemic. “It’s an abuse”
Oral COVID-19 Vaccine Pilot Studies
- Hong Kong researchers developed an oral COVID-19 vaccine;
- The vaccine may be produced in the form of capsules;
- It is able to elicit an immune response to the virus without side effects in both mice and humans;
- Development work began in mid-2021, the results were published in December in the scientific journal Vaccines.
SEE: Scientists conducted a pilot study of an oral COVID-19 vaccine
Germany. Most new infections since the outbreak of the pandemic
- Over 80,000 new coronavirus infections were reported within one day in Germany to the Berlin Institute Robert Koch (RKI) – the institution informed on Wednesday;
- This is a record balance sheet since the start of the pandemic;
- Within 24 hours, the health authorities in Germany reported a total of 80,430 infections;
- A week ago, it was 58,912 infections. The previous record was set on November 18, when 65,371 were recorded;
- 384 people died in the last 24 hours due to the coronavirus.
SEE: Germany. Over 80,000 new coronavirus infections – most since the outbreak of the pandemic
Italy. New COVID-19 vaccination record
- Over 686,000 vaccinations against COVID-19 were made in Italy on Tuesday;
- Italy is one of the countries with the highest vaccination rates;
- About 77,000 people, most of them children, received the first dose of the vaccine on one day;
- Less than a third of this group are people over the age of 50 who are mandated by the government to vaccinate;
- After two doses, more than 86 percent of the country’s population has taken the third dose, and the third dose has been taken by 24 million people, or 61 percent of those eligible for the vaccination.
SEE: Italy. New record: 686,000 vaccinations against COVID-19 in one day
Anthony Fauci: There’s no way you can eliminate COVID-19 from your life
- White House chief medical advisor Anthony Fauci said there is no way to eliminate COVID-19 from society;
- In his opinion, the US is approaching the point where it will switch to a new normal, living with the coronavirus;
- The coronavirus variant “Omikron, with its remarkable, unprecedented ability to transmit, will eventually catch almost everyone,” he added, and eliminating the disease caused by the virus is unrealistic.
SEE: USA. Anthony Fauci: There’s no way you can eliminate COVID-19 from your life
Germany: 200 people were vaccinated by mistake with an expired vaccine
- At the vaccination center in Ingolstadt in early January, expired doses of Biontech vaccine were delivered;
- Upper Bavaria authorities announced on Wednesday that 201 cases had mistakenly administered a vaccine that had expired the day before;
- A similar case from Ebersberg was revealed on Tuesday;
- According to the operating company, about 1,800 people were vaccinated with the vaccine, which expired on December 31, between January 4-6.
SEE: Germany. 200 people were vaccinated by mistake with an expired vaccine
Italy. One third of those infected are hospitalized for a different reason
- In Italy, a third of hospitalized coronavirus-infected people stay in hospital not for symptoms of COVID-19, but for other diseases, according to analyzes from six facilities in the country;
- This means that these patients went to the hospital to treat other conditions, and the test also showed that they were infected with coronavirus;
- There are currently over 18.6 thousand infected people in hospitals, including around 1,600 in intensive care.
SEE: Coronavirus; Italy. Research: a third of those infected are hospitalized for a different reason
PHOTO OF THE DAY: A woman with a mask covering her nose and mouth is walking near the Eiffel Tower. On Tuesday, it was reported that 368,149 coronavirus infections had been detected in France in the previous 24 hours – the highest number since the start of the pandemic. The seven-day moving average of infections has risen to over 280,000. The incidence rate in France per 100,000 inhabitants is 2790 people. The percentage of positive test results rose to 20 percent.
an / pdb / polsatnews.pl