On November 3, the media reported that Rochelle P. Walensky, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), gave permission to vaccinate children between 5 and 11 years old against COVID-19.
“As a mother, I encourage parents who have questions to talk to their pediatrician, school nurse or local pharmacist to learn more about the vaccine and the importance of immunization for children,” said Walensky, quoted by POLITICO.
More information about the coronavirus pandemic can be found on the Gazeta.pl home page.
COVID-19 vaccines for children. The Ministry of Health will wait for the EMA’s decision
Prof. Andrzej Horban, the prime minister’s chief adviser on COVID-19, was a guest of RMF FM radio, where he said that clinical trials conducted in the USA are enough to allow children aged 5-11 to be vaccinated also in Poland. However, the Ministry of Health did not follow this recommendation. The ministry wants to wait for the decision of the European Medicines Agency (EMA).
– We are talking about children and we are talking about vaccines with a different qualitative and quantitative composition. Nobody will take shortcuts here. We will wait for the decision of the European Medicines Agency, we will not do it before. Even from this point of view, we will have the first vaccines for children in December – said the spokesman of the Ministry of Health Wojciech Andrusiewicz, who is quoted by RMF FM.
The COVID-19 vaccines for children are slightly different than those for adults. 1/3 of the dose is administered, and therefore other excipients are used in it. The production of such vaccines in Europe is not expected to start until they are authorized by the European Medicines Agency. Andrusiewicz explained that vaccination of younger children will be possible in Poland from the first half of December, provided that the EMA approves the tests by the end of November. President of the Office for Registration of Medicinal Products Grzegorz Cessak, who was a guest at the end of October TVN24, said he expected the EMA’s decision by mid-December at the latest.