The host cities for the stages will be: Lublin, Zamość, Przemyśl, Sanok, Rzeszów, Bukowina Tatrzańska and Kraków. The race should be resolved on the penultimate day during a 15-kilometer individual time trial from Szaflary to Wierch Rusiński (Bukovina Resort).
Earlier, important decisions will take place in Przemyśl, where the cyclists will climb a very steep (inclination angle of up to 15%) and a narrow road to the Tatar Mound. In this year’s edition, it was in the city on the San River that the Portuguese Joao Almeida won the leader’s yellow jersey and did not give it back to the finish line near Wawel.
The race director, Czesław Lang, estimated that the fourth stage, leading through the Bieszczady Mountains, and the fifth stage, full of climbs in the Dynów Foothills, may also bring about a major reshuffle. After these two exhausting stages, the riders, tired, will start to ride on time in Podhale.
– We left some of the stages from this year, but we also added some novelties. I am very pleased that we managed to get the route ready so early. In previous years, we have sometimes closed the route with a tape-roll, ”Lang said.
– I will not reveal the secret that we are already thinking about 2023 and the jubilee of the race (80th edition, 30 years of Lang’s work as director – PAP) – he added.
Not much can be said about the cast of the race yet. This year, 19 elite teams of the World Tour competed and three invited ones, including the Polish national team.
Tour de Pologne 2022
The route of the 79th Tour de Pologne:
- 30.07, 1st stage, Kielce – Lublin (221 km)
- 31.07, 2nd stage, Chełm – Zamość (204 km)
- 1.08, 3rd stage, Kraśnik – Przemyśl (230 km)
- 2.08, 4th stage, Lesko – Sanok (177 km)
- 3.08, 5th stage, Łańcut – Rzeszów (205 km)
- 4.08, 6th stage, Szaflary – Bukovina Resort (induction time trial, 15.4 km)
- 5.08, 7th stage, Skawina – Kraków (175 km)