The hybrid architecture of Intel Alder Lake processors was to be a revolution that would allow to improve the performance and energy efficiency of computers. As it turns out, the solution can also cause problems.
Intel Alder Lake processors and the DRM problem
New Intel processors (e.g. the Core i9-12900K and Core i5-12600K we tested) use a hybrid architecture, where more efficient P-Core and weaker E-Core cores are combined – the first are designed for single-threaded work, and the second for supporting applications using multiple threads.
The problem is that a configuration combining two types of cores can be detected by security software (DRM) as two independent operating systems, which causes problems with running some older games.
Intel Alder Lake – how to solve the DRM problem?
The simplest solution is to disable the weaker E-Core – this feature is usually available in the UEFI of the motherboard (but the computer must be restarted).
Gigabyte DRM Fix Tool – a useful tool for Gigabyte Z690 motherboards
However, Gigabyte found a more convenient way to solve the problem – the manufacturer has prepared the Gigabyte DRM Fix Tool program, which allows you to disable (park) or enable (unpark) E-core cores directly under the operating system.
Programik works only with Gigabyte Z690 motherboards and does not require installation (the manufacturer recommends updating UEFI to the latest version – see the list of supported models below).
Gigabyte DRM Fix Tool – Supported Motherboards List (UEFI version)
- Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Xtreme WaterForce – F4a
- Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Xtreme – F5a
- Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Tachyon – F3a
- Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master – F6b
- Gigabyte Z690I Aorus Ultra – F4a
- Gigabyte Z690I Aorus Ultra DDR4 – F5a
- Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Ultra – F5a
- Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Pro – F6a
- Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Pro DDR4 – F6a
- Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX – F5a
- Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 – F6a
- Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite – F4a
- Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite DDR4 – F5a
- Gigabyte Z690M Aorus Elite AX DDR4 -F5a
- Gigabyte Z690M Aorus Elite DDR4 – F5a
- Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X – F5a
- Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 – F6a
- Gigabyte Z690 Aero D – F5a
- Gigabyte Z690 Aero G – F4b
- Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 – F6a
- Gigabyte Z690 UD – F5a
- Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 – F5a
- Gigabyte Z690 UD AC – F5a
- Gigabyte Z690 UD AX – F5a
- Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4 – F5a
- Gigabyte Z690M DS3H DDR4 – F2a