The legionaries will start competing in Leicester after their away defeat with Górnik Zabrze (2: 3) in the 15th round of PKO Ekstraklasa. Varsovians have suffered their seventh consecutive defeat in the league. Thus, they evened the record from … 1936, when they were relegated from the top class only once. At this point, the Polish champions occupy the penultimate, 17th position in the league, with only 9 points in 13 matches. They lose 23 “eyes” to the leader, Lech Poznań – but they have two outstanding matches to play. – In this difficult period for us, we must – as a team – stick together and support at every step. We must not allow situations such as the emergence of conflicts between us. In the second half of the match in Zabrze it was obvious that we could play football. I think that the last game should give us a positive kick – it has not brought victory yet, but we are on our way to winning – said the “Military” stopwatch, Mateusz Wieteska.
Legia’s situation looks much better in the group stage of the Europa League. She was second after four rounds, and at the moment – with six points – she is third. Spartak and SSC Napoli have both scored seven points so far, and Leicester – five. The team from the Polish capital is still in the game and will fight to leave the group until the very end (the first two teams will go to the LE knockout stage, and the third – to the Conference League). The key game for her will undoubtedly be the last match – with the Russians in Warsaw. Earlier (25.11), however, she will face the away competition with “Lisas”, with whom she won 1-0 at home on September 30, after a goal by Mahir Emreli. Since then, the “Military” have had a terrible time: they won only once (with Skolwin Dawn) and lost eight times.
– Spartak’s victory over Napoli has some meaning for us, but – in fact – it all depends on us. Thursday’s meeting is very important in the context of arranging the table and getting promoted. If this does not happen, the match with the Russians will be decisive – said the coach of the Warsaw club, Marek Gołębiewski, who the day after the game with Leicester City will be a month, since he is leading the “one”. The trainer started working with great enthusiasm, with the belief that he would pick up the team and get it out of the crisis. – I’m still enthusiastic, but the results in the league certainly don’t defend me – we lost all three games. The only victory we achieved was in the Polish Cup. This is the work of a coach – we are looking for the optimal combination and selection of players. It was evident that in the second part of the game in Zabrze, after a few changes and modifications to the system, the team began to function better. All the time, if I have the opportunity to work with these players, I will do my best to get the team up. This is my job – commented the 41-year-old.
Looking for the positives, one of the advantages of Legia is the recent set pieces of the game on the offensive. This is how “Military” scored in three out of five matches during Gołębiewski’s tenure. As for the rivalry with Skolwin Dawn (1-0), Lindsay Rose scored the goal after the confusion resulting from the corner kick. On the other hand, in the matches against Stal Mielec (1-3) and Górnik Zabrze (2-3), after Josue’s precise crosses, Wieteska successfully headed from free throws. – Set pieces of the game are the fastest changing and improving parts of football. It doesn’t take much time, you can introduce your ideas. As we have seen, this has had an effect in three meetings. We will also have them prepared for the Thursday game, but I do not want to reveal what they will be like. It will be very difficult for us because Leicester plays well in the air. However, it seems to me that we can gain some benefit, a goal, from a set piece – added the coach of Legia.
– I think we will play in the target line-up where we want to play in the league and the European cup. We stick to one system, so I cannot reveal too many details – said Gołębiewski. It’s about setting up with four defenders behind. What can the basic squad of Polish champions look like for the game in Leicester? Cezary Miszta will be in the goal. Mattias Johansson will appear on the right side of the defensive, Filip Mladenović on the left, and the stopwatch duo will be created by Artur Jędrzejczyk and Wieteska. In the middle of the field you can expect Bartosz Slisz, Andre Martins and Ihor Charatin. Before them will play Ernest Muci, Emreli and Luquinhas.
Artur Boruc will not help Legia yet. The experienced goalkeeper has recovered from a back injury, he has been training for less than two weeks, but will not face Leicester City. He will play 99 percent in Sunday’s match with Jagiellonia Białystok. Lirim Kastrati (ankle injury) and Maik Nawrocki will also not play in the next Europa League match. The stopwatch was prepared for a match in England, but will probably only play against Motor Lublin in the Polish Cup. The coaching staff will also not be able to use the services of Josue, who pauses for the excess of yellow cards. In addition, Joel Abu Hanna (collateral ligament damage in the knee) is missing, and Wojciech Muzyka and Bartosz Kapustka, who are rehabilitating after injuries, are also missing.
Leicester City is currently ranked 12th in the league, with 15 points from 12 games (four wins, three draws, five losses). Last week, “Lisy” lost 0: 3 at home to Chelsea FC. In this match, they did not play, among others Youri Tielemans (central midfielder) and Ricardo Pereira (right-back) who are injured. The aforementioned two will not come out against Legia, nor will they Wesley Fofana (stopwatch) i James Justin (side defender) who have been struggling with injuries for a long time.
“Lisy” do not have a very good streak: in the last four matches they tied twice and lost, the last time they won on October 27 (in a penalty shootout against Brighton in the English League Cup). – The reasons for the weaker form? It has been several years since I signed with Leicester and we have had success. We then achieved more than expected. But I’m sure we’re not far from going back to where we were a few years ago. The sooner we have positive results and regain confidence, the faster we can gain momentum that will lead us to better results – said the footballer of the England team, Ayoze Perez.
– At any level, concentration is one of the greatest attributes you should have. The legionaries played for the new coach quite a lot in the 4-3-3 system, but it may be a similar match to Spartak, where they could look for opportunities in counterattacks. Varsovians have introduced a few technical players to the team, which suggests that they may want to open up a bit more. We need to focus on ourselves and regain our confidence. And impose your own style of play – coach Leicester admitted, Brendan Rodgers. – Whoever is on the pitch knows how important the game is. We are ready for this and we know we have to win. This is an important game that we will play at our stadium in front of our fans. Legia must feel that 90 minutes will be difficult and long, and that we will create situations Perez added.
According to bookmakers from TOTALbet, rivals are the clear favorite. The odds for Legia to win are 14.00, a draw is a multiplier of 7.20, and a Leicester win is 1.20. The match that Germany will lead Deniz Aytekin, will be held on Thursday, November 25, at 21:00. Transmission on the Viaplay platform. The meeting will also be broadcast on TVP – it can be watched from the play, right after the final whistle, on TVP 2 and sport.tvp.pl. Legia.Net editorial staff will traditionally conduct a live text report, and after the competition is over, we invite you to read our materials.
Leicester: Schmeichel – Amartey, Evans, Soyuncu – Castagne, Soumare, Ndidi, Albrighton – Perez, Iheanacho, Barnes
Legion: Miszta – Johansson, Jędrzejczyk, Wieteska, Mladenović – Martins, Slisz, Charatin – Muci, Emreli, Luquinhas
– Conference of Legia’s coach, Marek Gołębiewski
– Legia stopwatch, Mateusz Wieteska, before the match in Leicester
– Leicester City coach Brendan Rodgers conference
– Leicester City player Ayoze Perez quote
– Legia players trained at the Leicester City stadium