- A meeting of the heads of governments of the Visegrad Group countries was held on Tuesday in Budapest. The topic of the meeting of the V4 states was the situation on the Polish-Belarusian border, as well as the current geopolitical threats in Europe
- – Brussels is pursuing an erroneous policy, increasing the migratory pressure. The Hungarian position is still that the EU has to pay for the EU’s costs. It is unacceptable that only the countries concerned should bear the costs, said Viktor Orban
- – Our immunity will be tested for sure. Whether we will be able to respond to this crisis depends on a solidarity-based response. There are many signs that this crisis will not end soon, said Prime Minister Morawiecki
- More information can be found on the Onet homepage
Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki came to Budapest on Tuesday for a meeting of the heads of governments of the Visegrad Group (V4) countries. In the capital of Hungary, he was welcomed by the Prime Minister of that country, Viktor Orban. The topic of the meeting of the V4 states was the situation on the Polish-Belarusian border, as well as the current geopolitical threats in Europe.
The meeting was followed by a press conference of politicians. Viktor Orban spoke about the problem of migration that affects all of Europe, including, recently, Poland. – This is a challenge that is greater than any so far. Brussels is pursuing an erroneous policy, adding to migratory pressure. The Hungarian position is still that the EU has to pay for the EU’s costs. It is unacceptable that only the countries concerned should bear the costs. We also defend Hungarians, but also the whole of Europe, he said, referring to efforts to control migration. He also declared full solidarity with Poland.
Slovak Prime Minister Eduard Heger said that “the defense of integrity is very important”. – We feel the situation in Belarus very intensely. Migrants are used. We find that Belarus’s actions are unacceptable. We support all sanctions – he said. – It is important that the European Union helps Poland. I am glad that we are part of the initiative of the heads of the Ministry of the Interior, who ask the European Commission to deal with the situation on the border.
The rest of the text is below the video.
– V4 works. I am convinced that migration is an unfinished problem. In 2015, Hungary was the first country to start building a fence and everyone criticized Prime Minister Orban. Now a few heads of governments are asking for money from the European Commission to build such walls, said Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš. – The Czech Republic supports Poland completely. Miloš Zeman offered Andrzej Duda to help our policemen and soldiers – he added.
As he stated, “what is happening on the Polish-Belarusian border is unacceptable.” – We support all sanctions against Belarus – assured Babiš.
Crisis on the border. Morawiecki: our immunity will be tested
Then the Prime Minister of Poland, Mateusz Morawiecki, took the floor. – Thank you Viktor for organizing the meeting. The level of solidarity and a positive response to our concerns is really encouraging. I would like to thank all the prime ministers, he began.
He stressed that talks with the prime minister of Iraq, with the prime minister of the autonomous region in Kurdistan and with counterparts in Turkey and the Middle East, as well as reliable and objective cooperation with countries such as Uzbekistan, mean that today the influx of new migrants to Belarus is much lower than at the peak of the intensity. influx of migrants – that is, about a month or two or three weeks ago.
– The coordinated diplomatic offensive is paying off. Thanks to talks and reliable cooperation, the new influx of migrants to Belarus is much smaller. This is the first step to defuse this crisis. Is this a migration crisis? It’s far too little a word. We should talk about a political crisis in which migrants are used by the mafias in cooperation with the Lukashenka regime to be an element of pressure on the EU and the chaos that Lukashenka believes will serve him, he said.
– Five and six years ago, Viktor Obran was the one who firmly raised the red flag, saying that we must be in control of the influx of migrants. We control the influx of migrants, solidarity is the trademark of the V4 – he added.
– Our immunity will be tested for sure. Whether we will be able to respond to this crisis depends on a solidarity-based response. There are many signs that this crisis will not end soon. That is why we have launched a diplomatic offensive. In Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Today, Poland and the Baltic states show what real solidarity is, continued the Prime Minister.
We are glad that you are with us. Subscribe to the Onet newsletter to receive the most valuable content from us.