From 21 December 2022 in American cinemas with Sony Pictures Entertainment I Wanna Dance With Somebodythe life and career of singer Whitney Houston, played by actress Naomi Ackie, narrated in a biopic approved by the Houston heirs that tells the journey of one of the most beautiful and powerful voices ever, from a New Jersey backing vocalist to one of the best-selling and award-winning record artists of all time.
Plot and cast
The official plot: “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” is a powerful and triumphant celebration of the incomparable Whitney Houston. Directed by Kasi Lemmons, written by Oscar nominee Anthony McCarten, produced by legendary music executive Clive Davis and starring BAFTA Award winner Naomi Ackie, the film is a no-holds-barred portrayal of the complex and multifaceted woman behind The Voice. From New Jersey backing vocalist to one of the best-selling and award-winning record artists of all time, audiences are engaged in an inspiring, heartwarming and so thrilling journey through Houston’s pioneering life and career, featuring breathtaking performances and a soundtrack by the icon’s most beloved hits like you’ve never heard them before. Don’t you want to dance?
The cast of also includes Stanley Tucci (Clive Davis), Ashton Sanders (Bobby Brown), Tamara Tunie (Cissy Houston), Nafessa Williams (Robyn Crawford), Clarke Peters (John Houston), Daniel Washington (Gary Houston), Bria Danielle Singleton (Bobbi Kristina), Kris Sidberry (Pat Houston), Jaison Hunter (Germaine Jackson) and JaQuan Malik Jones (Michael Houston).
- The title of the film “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” is inspired by one of the singer’s best known hits, the second single from the 1987 album “Whitney”
- “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” is directed by Kasi Lemmons (Eve’s Bay, Talk to Me, Harriet) from an Oscar-nominated screenplay by Anthony McCarten for Bohemian Rhapsody, the blockbuster biopic about Freddy Mercury and Queen. McCarten’s credits also include four Oscar nominations for The two popes (best non-original screenplay), The theory of everything (best film as a producer and best non-original screenplay) e The darkest hour (best film as a producer). MCarten is currently writing the thriller The Siege by Justin Kurzel (Assassin’s Creed), a true story that tells of a team of armed Pakistani militants who organize a terrorist attack on the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in India. McCarten is also developing a musical biopic about the Bee Gees and writing a Broadway musical about the life and career of singer Neil Diamond.
- Naomi Ackie played Jannah in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalkeking Alicia in the tv series Master of Nonein the cinema he also acted in crime Criminal empire (2019) with Sam Caflin e The Score (2021) with Will Poulter. We will see Ackie soon in Zoë Kravitz’s directorial debut Pussy Islandalongside Channing Tatum, and in Mickey7 by Bong Joon-ho, based on the science fiction novel by Edward Ashton, with Robert Pattinson, Toni Collette and Mark Ruffalo.
- Whitney Houston’s heirs have authorized the biopic “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” to use the singer’s entire catalog of songs, but contrary to what we’ve heard in recent biopics about Freddy Mercury and Elton John, in which the voices of the protagonists were involved in the recording of the songs, it has already been announced that Naomi Ackie will not be involved from the point of view of the voice and that all the songs will be interpreted by Whitney Houston.
- The film is co-produced by The Whitney Houston Estate, Primary Wave, Clive Davis, one of the singer’s producers, Anthony McCarten, Pat Houston, Larry Mestel, Denis O’Sullivan, Jeff Kalligheri, Matt Jackson, Molly Smith, Trent Luckinbill, Thad Luckinbill, Matt Salloway and Christina Papagjika. Naomi Ackie is among the executive producers of the film.
I Wanna Dance With Somebody – trailer and video
Whitney Houston – biographical notes
Whitney Houston has been certified as the most awarded female artist of all time by Guinness World Records and one of the most sold singers of all time, with sales of over 200 million records worldwide. Houston has released seven studio albums and two soundtrack albums, all certified as diamond, multiplatinum, platinum or gold. She is considered to be one of the greatest artists of all time. Her charismatic presence on the pop music charts along with her visibility on MTV have influenced several African American artists. In 2020 she was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a recognition that came eight years after the singer was found dead in a Beverly Hills hotel room. She was 48 at the time of her death. Problems with drugs and alcohol and a troubled marriage to fellow musician Bobby Brown have marked the latter part of her career. Houston also tried her hand as an actress debuting in Bodyguard in 1992 opposite Kevin Costner, the film became a classic and the score performed by Houston herself became the best-selling soundtrack of all time. Houston also appeared in the choir Women – Waiting to Exhale actor Forest Whitaker’s big-screen directorial debut, in A look from the skyremake of the 1947 film The bishop’s wife starring opposite Denzel Washington and in the remake Sparkle – The light of success released posthumously. Houston Producer Credits include Pretty Princess, A song for the Cheetah Girls, Prince Charming wanted And Cheetah Girls 2.
- More than 190 million copies sold, including albums and singles
- 46 weeks at number 1 on the best-selling album chart
- 6 Grammy Awards
- 2 Emmys
- 31 Billboard music Awards
- 22 American Music Awards
- Three albums simultaneously in the Top Ten of the Billboard 200 for two consecutive weeks.
- Among other records, she also holds the first place in the ranking of the most successful artists of color along with Michael Jackson, and in 2006 the Guinness Book of World Records declared her “the most awarded and famous artist of all time”.
Photos and posters