It is very sad that the US Congress has to organize such hearings and that they have to be told what is happening in Poland, admitted Rafał Trzaskowski after the debate in the Congress. In “Fakty po Faktach” he was asked not only about his participation in the discussion, but also about the events in the Polish Sejm, including the one vote lost by eight members of the Civic Coalition. – The authorities of my party will surely draw the consequences from it – he assessed.
The Mayor of Warsaw, Rafał Trzaskowski, was the guest of the Thursday issue of “Fakty po Faktach” on TVN24. In the program, he was asked about one of the votes of the Sejm on Thursday, during which it was decided to reject the entire project regarding the establishment of the Polish Institute of Family and Demography.
204 MPs voted against the bill at first reading, while 205 were against. There was not one vote left to reject the idea criticized by the opposition. Among others, eight members of the Civic Coalition did not take part in the vote. 19 PiS MPs abstained from voting.
– It is true that in such moments you have to appear in the Sejm. Everyone should be in the Seym – he replied. He added that he did not know the reasons for the absence of his colleagues during this vote. “I hope this absence is justified,” he added.
WATCH AN INTERVIEW WITH RAFAŁ TRZASKOWSKI ON TVN24 GO
– We are not okay, but because there are a lot of votes, such things happen – continued Trzaskowski. He assessed that “the vast majority of members of the Civic Coalition are disciplined.”
Trzaskowski described that “in the moments when very important votes are taken, full presence is needed, because the (parliamentary) majority is very fragile”. – The authorities of my party will certainly take the consequences. I hope this type of absence is justified. Of course, this should not be the case, there is no doubt – he summed up.
– You will not find an excuse for this type of situation with me – he added, addressing Piotr Kraśka, who runs the program.
Trzaskowski after the debate in Congress: a lot of questions are asked about Poland
On Thursday, Trzaskowski took part in a hearing before a subcommittee of the American Congress, the topic of which is the state of democracy in Poland and Central Europe. When asked what image of Poland in his opinion members of the American Congress had, he said: – Unfortunately, today, mainly Hungary, but also Poland, is under censorship.
– There are a lot of questions in Congress, in the European Union, in all international institutions, about the state of democracy in Poland, whether there is media freedom or not, how minorities are treated, and above all that the rulers are trying to paralyze the justice system – he described. – It is very sad that the US Congress has to organize such hearings and that you have to tell what is going on in Poland – he added.
>> Mayor of Warsaw Rafał Trzaskowski in front of the US Congress subcommittee
Trzaskowski: the longer PiS rules, the weaker Polish-American relations are
The Mayor of Warsaw said that during the debate he “tried to be optimistic” about the situation in Poland. – That “yes, we have problems, but Poland is still a democracy and that we have to distinguish between the PiS state and the rulers who try to violate civil liberties” – he explained.
When asked about Polish-American relations and what impact on them is who rules Poland and who rules the United States, Trzaskowski replied: – Unfortunately, the longer PiS rules, the weaker these relations are. We all should care that these relationships are strong.
– Americans know one thing: that a strong Poland is a strong Poland in the European Union, that a strong Poland is a stable, democratic Poland that is resistant to propaganda, and not where the ruling party produces this propaganda itself – he argued.