Russia is preparing an attack on Ukraine from several directions at the beginning of 2022, says Kyryło Budanov, head of the main intelligence board of the Ukrainian defense ministry, quoted on Sunday by the Military Times website.
- The head of Ukrainian intelligence claims that Russia is preparing to attack his country from several directions
- Ukraine has no information as to whether Vladimir Putin has already made a final decision on military action
- The date of a possible attack, determined by the Ukrainians, is to be consistent with information from American intelligence
- You can find more such stories on the Onet homepage
Russia has amassed over 92,000. soldiers at Ukrainian borders and is preparing an attack in late January or early February next year – Budanow told the portal.
According to him, such the attack would most likely involve air raids, artillery and armored attacks and airborne attacks in the east, sea landings in Odessa and Mariupol, and a smaller incursion through Belarus.
See also: “La Repubblica”: Putin wants to squeeze the EU in a vice
As he assessed, prepared by Russia the attack would be “much more devastating than anything that has been observed so far in the conflict that has been going on since 2014, in which around 14,000 Ukrainians have died.”
On Friday, Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov told the Washington Post that it is not yet known whether Russian President Vladimir Putin made the decision to attack. However, as Budanov emphasized, Russia is strengthening its capabilities for a possible attack.
See also: The risk of “accidental” war with Russia is higher than in the Cold War, warns the head of the British army
The intelligence chief added that the attack will be preceded by psychological operations aimed at destabilizing Ukraine and reducing its defense capabilities. He added that such activities are already being observed and include, for example, the organization of anti-vaccine protests. According to him, part of these operations is also the situation on the Belarusian-Polish border.
He noted that the data of Ukrainian and American intelligence on the time of the launch of a possible attack are consistent.
General Bogusław Pacek, former NATO adviser for the reform of Ukraine’s military education, recently spoke about the potential Russian-Ukrainian conflict in an interview with Business Insider Polska. – I don’t think the Russians could decide to open a large-scale conflict with Ukraine at the moment – he argued. However, he quickly added that smaller, regional conflicts between Russia and Ukraine were not out of the question in the near future.
– Someday there may come a moment when the Russians will sense that the West will completely lose interest in Ukraine and will make some moves here. It is not certain, of course, that these must be military movements, said General Pacek.
Experts emphasize that without foreign aid, it would be difficult for Ukraine to defend itself with possible aggression. Russia has an army of over a million, Ukraine has only about 255,000. soldiers. The difference in equipment is colossal – Russia has about 4.1 thousand. military aircraft, Ukraine barely 285.