Dariusz Wołowski, Interia: Polish jumpers have not recorded such poor results as on Sunday in Wisła for 22 years – of course in the World Cup competitions held in Poland.
Apoloniusz Tajner (president of PZN): – It is difficult to argue with the facts. The results of the Sunday competition in Wisła are another disappointment. And because it is the third bad weekend of our jumpers in the World Cup, we decided that we need to act. Implement a recovery plan immediately.
Whose idea was it that only Kamil Stoch, Piotr Żyła, Aleksander Zniszczoł and Paweł Wąsek went to the next World Cup competition in Klingenthal, and Dawid Kubacki, Jakub Wolny, Klemens Murańka and Andrzej Stękała stopped the starts and set out to rebuild their form in Austrian Ramsau?
– This is a commonly used solution. It was decided by Adam Małysz, and also by Martin Schmitt during his career. The hill in Ramsau, size K-90, is a good place to work calmly on eliminating technical errors. Kubacki, Stękała, Murańka and Wolny will find it very useful. On Saturday, after the team competition in Wisła, I talked to Małysz about it. We did not go to coach Doleżal with it, considering that the competition was lottery due to the wind. On Sunday the wind was stable, it was lightly blowing against the competitors’ backs. Seemingly perfect conditions for our jumpers, if they were in shape. But they are not.
So you offered Doleżal to go to Ramsau. He had no objection?
– It wasn’t one person’s decision. Not two. On Sunday, after the individual competition, we did not talk to Doleżal, so that he would have time to cool down. He seemed distracted and touched by what had happened. It was only in the hotel, when the emotions subsided a bit, that Małysz and I presented our proposal to him. The meeting was also attended by the trainers Grzegorz Sobczyk and Maciej Maciusiak, as well as the Austrian physiologist Harald Pernitsch, who carried out tests on the mechanical parameters of our team before the competition in Wisła. The results turned out well, which means that the problem is not with the physical preparation, but with the jump technique. And that can be fixed faster. For a few quiet workouts. Doleżal accepted our offer, but decided that Stoch, Żyła, Zniszczoł and Wąsek are able and should continue competing in the World Cup. So they will go to Klingenthal and, depending on the results, they will return to Poland, or they will join the four of them in Ramsau, who will already be there.
A pandemic is raging in Austria. Why did you choose Ramsau and not the ski jump in Wisła or the Middle Krokiew in Zakopane, size K-90?
– It must be a smaller hill, because it is easier to improve your technique on it. It could be Zakopane, but we wanted our jumpers to be focused only on work. This will be the case in Austria, where Kubacki and others will have 5-6 quiet training sessions on the hill. Backed by physical training, rest and regeneration. In Poland, they would return home from the ski jump and have family responsibilities. In Ramsau, they will be working on form all the time. We are not afraid of a pandemic, because in Wisła the entire staff was vaccinated with a booster dose.
When will these four jumpers go to Ramsau?
– Wednesday or Thursday. After vaccination, they will rest in Wisła for two days. Then they will not train. Then four will go to Ramsau and four to Klingenthal. The team should go complete to the World Cup competition in Engelberg, Switzerland on 18 December. After returning on December 20, there will be time for a day or two training in Poland. On December 23 there is the Polish championship in Zakopane, and on December 27 the team will go to Oberstdorf for the 70th Four Hills Tournament.
Who will be the best athlete of 2021? – VOTE HERE!
What if the recovery plan fails?
– We are not considering black scenarios yet. Easy training should help Kubacki, Stękała, Wolny and Murańka. We don’t really know exactly what causes the players’ poor disposition. In the fall, they seemed well prepared for the Olympic season. We expected the results to be better than at the beginning of winter last year. Meanwhile, it is much below expectations. You cannot hesitate, be careful that the form will repair itself. The plan worked several times, and it should now too. I deeply believe in it.
Some fans are nervous.
– We must act calmly. Don’t panic, try to fix the problem. Nerves are a bad adviser. If there is anyone in Poland who would like it to be better, it is for sure Małysz in the first place. Also Doleżal, Sobczyk and all of us. I am sure our jumpers will return to their normal level. When? I have a feeling it will happen sooner rather than later.
The interview was conducted by Dariusz Wołowski
/EXPA / Tadeusz Mieczyński /Newspix
Dawid Kubacki after an unsuccessful start in Wisła. His wife consoled him
Kamil Stoch confused after the World Cup in Wisła
Piotr Żyła’s mysterious plan