UEFA today released the list of the 10 best players of the 2022-2023 season. To everyone’s surprise, we didn’t get Andre Onana and Riyad Mahrez who have reached the final of the UEFA Champions League.
European football’s governing body has published a list of the 10 best players from the old continent from last season. Norwegian Erling Haaland and Manchester City’s Belgian Kevin De Bruyne are among the finalists. We also get Argentine star Lionel Messi, who left Paris Saint-Germain this summer to join Inter Miami.
The absence of some players in this list is a matter of concern. Riyad Mahrez, the current European champion and author of 15 goals and 13 assists in 47 games in all competitions, is missing. Andre Onana, one of the best goalkeepers of the season, the unfortunate finalist of the Champions League, the author of 8 clean sheets in 13 games, is not present. We can also regret the absence of Andre-Frank, Zambo Anguissa or even Ismael Benesar, all semi-finalists of the cup with big ears, and who are not among the 10 best players of the season.
Ranking behind the three finalists:
- Ilkay Gundogan (Manchester City, now FC Barcelona) – 129 points
- Rodri (Manchester City) – 110 points
- Kylian Mbappe (PSG) – 82 points
- Luka Modric (Real Madrid) – 33 points
- Marcelo Brozovic (Inter Milan, today at Al Nassr) – 20 points
- Declan Rice (West Ham, now at Arsenal) – 14 points
- Alexis McAllister (Brighton, now Liverpool) – 12 points