Argentine player received US$ 130 million, around R$ 667.86 million in the last 12 months; Neymar appears in 4th place
PSG (Paris Saint-Germain) striker Lionel Messi is at the top of the world ranking of the 10 highest paid players released by Forbes magazine this Thursday (May 12, 2022). According to the publication, the Argentine received US$ 130 million, about R$ 667.86 million, of gross salary before taxes in the last 12 months.
Forbes estimates, however, that Messi’s earnings have decreased by US$ 22 million (R$ 113.02 million) compared to last year, when he was still at Barcelona. Despite this, the high number of sponsorships compensated for the salary loss and took the ace to 1st place on the list.
Off the field, the Argentine received US$ 55 million (R$ 282.58 million) in sponsorships from Adidas, Budweiser and PepsiCo. In March, the athlete signed a contract worth US$ 20 million (R$ 95 million) to be a global ambassador for the cryptocurrency company “Sócios.com”.
In 2nd position is LeBron James, star of the NBA (National Basketball Association), the professional basketball league in the USA. The Los Angeles Lakers star earned $121.2 million. Cristiano Ronaldo, Manchester United player, appears in 3rd place in the ranking with gross income of US$ 115 million (R$ 590.8 million).
Just behind the Portuguese veteran, Neymar appears in 4th position, with a salary of US$ 70 million (R$ 358.66 million). The Brazilian from PSG still earns US$ 55 million (R$ 282.58 million) from sponsors such as Puma and Red Bull. He is also the subject of the Netflix docuseries “Neymar – O Chaos Perfeito”.
According to Forbes, the 10 highest-paid athletes have collectively earned $992 million in the last 12 months.
In addition to the salary, the athletes earned US$ 500 million (R$ 2.56 billion) from sponsorships, appearances, memorabilia – exclusive objects related to a person and destined for collectors -, and licensing fees, as well as the cash income obtained. in business and equity interests.
Here is the ranking of the 10 highest paid athletes in the world:
- 1- Lionel Messi (PSG): US$ 130 million;
- 2- LeBron James (Los Angeles Lakers, NBA): $121.2 million;
- 3- Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United) US$ 115 million;
- 4- Neymar (PSG): US$ 95 million;
- 5- Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors, NBA): $92.8 million;
- 6- Kevin Durant (Brooklyn Nets, NBA): $92.1 million;
- 7- Roger Federer (Tennis): US$ 90.7 million;
- 8- Canelo Alvarez (Boxing): US$ 90 million;
- 9- Tom Brady (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, NFL): $83.9 million;
- 10- Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks, NBA): $80.9 million