At the Ferraris tight and balanced race: Asllani and Vicario save the result on Portanova. Far away salvation for the rossoblùs
The Genoa does not break through and collects the sixth draw in a row “useless” for salvation. In the lunch match of the 28th day of Serie A between Grifone and Empoli it ends 0-0 with the teams that move the rankings at a slow pace. At the Ferraris a tight and balanced race, but the better opportunities if they are provided by the rossoblùs. In the first half Asllani saves on the line a header with a sure shot of Portanova. In the second half then the former Juve tries again with the right but Vicar fly and defuse the attempt with the help of the crossbar.
At Ferraris Blessin is betting everything on dynamism and proposes the same formation that did well against Inter with Yeboah as central striker. Second consecutive on the bench for Destro. Andreazzoli responds instead with Zurkowski, Asllani and Benassi in the median and the tandem Bajrami-Verre behind Pinamonti. He choices that at the start clog up the spaces, nail the game in the middle of the field and move the fight to the outside. At a high pace and with many duels and contrasts, Empoli has the best start on the game level. But the maneuver of Andreazzoli’s men did not break through the rossoblù bunker. A free-kick from Bajrami touches the crossbar, then Sirigu defuses a powerful right foot from the Albanian with some difficulty. Occasions to which Genoa responds by increasing the laps, pushing with Hefti and Portanova and looking for Yeboah and then going to press on the second balls. Vicario blocks Badelj’s right from a distance, then the Griffon tries to hit the corner: Asllani rejects an Ostigard header on the line and a Maksimovic shot ends up just a little. Flashes that ignite the match and increase the red and blue pressure. After a great action on the right, Vicario rejects a close header from Portanova, then Gudmundsson fires high from a good position and Aureliano lets go on a hold in the Benassi area on Portanova. An episode that triggers the Rossoblu protests, but that does not change the inertia of the match. Under pressure, the Grifone in fact closes the first half forward, but fails to unlock the match. Vicario first stops a header from Vasquez, then blocks a weak right from Melegoni.
The second half opens with long teams and more confusion on the pitch. Andreazzoli removes Verre and lets La Mantia in to give more points of reference in front. Blessin, on the other hand, removes Yeboha and throws Destro into the fray, giving more weight and confidence to the rossoblù maneuver. Vicario flies on a Portanova fireball and is saved thanks to the help of the crossbar, then Vasquez does not find the door from a good position. Opportunities that trigger a new round of changes. In Genoa outside Portanova and Melegoni, inside Rovella and Amiri. In Empoli instead Bandinelli and Henderson take the place of Benassi and Bajrami. Moves that increase the laps and the rossoblù pressure and force Empoli to retreat. Gudmundsson and Badelj try from a distance, but the aim is wrong. Then a blow from Destro goes high over the crossbar. In difficulty, Andreazzoli moved on to 3-5-2 bringing in Tonelli and Stulac and Sirigu was immediately forced to fly on a poisonous left foot from Bandinelli from the edge. Danger to which Genoa responds by continuing to push. Destro has the right ball on his head to hit, but Vicario blocks the attacker’s too central deviation. In the end there is only room for the last Rossoblù attack, but the forcing is too messy and Empoli defends itself well, tightening the lines and protecting the result. At the Ferraris it ends in white. A good point for Andreazzoli, another point useless instead for Blessin with a view to salvation.
Portanova 7: guarantees race, pressure and dynamism on the trocar while fighting and going in tow. He has two good chances to hit, but Vicario is super and denies him the joy of scoring
Hefti-Gudmundsson 6.5: they take care of the right wing in tandem, giving thrust and rhythm to the rossoblù maneuver. Genoa’s best actions often go through their feet
Yeboah 5: Luperto marks it tight and has little space to f out its characteristics in the open field. He gets nervous and plays with little clarity
Right 5.5: enters to shock but fails to make a difference. He has a couple of good chances to strike, but he’s not cold and Vicario is careful
Pinamonti 5: Maksimovic marks him tight and is almost always forced to play with his back to goal. His companions serve him little and badly and he fails to make himself dangerous
Zurkowski 5.5: Sturaro keeps it in his sights by limiting it. He struggles to find the right position between the lines and to make Empoli change pace in the possession phase
Verre 5: test opaque and without flickers and thrust on the trocar. Andreazzoli takes it off at 50 ‘
Vicar 7: precise in exits and safe between the posts. Genoa pushes and aims its goal, but does not tremble. Portanova’s flight to the right was providential and then ended up on the crossbar
Genoa (4-2-3-1): Sirigu 6.5; Hefti 6.5, Maksimovic 6, Ostigard 6.5, Vasquez 6; Sturaro 6, Badelj 6; Gudmundsson 6.5, Melegoni 6 (18 ‘st Amiri 5.5), Portanova 7 (18’ st Rovella 5.5); Yeboah 5 (11 ‘st Right 5.5).
Available: Semper, Marchetti, Bani, Calafiori, Ghiglione, Frendrup, Hernani, Kallon, Galdames. All .: Blessin 5.5
Empoli (4-3-2-1): Vicar 7; Stojanovic 6, Romagnoli 6, Luperto 6.5, Parisi 6.5; Asllani 6.5 (28 ‘st Stulac 6), Zurkowski 5.5 (28’ st Tonelli 6), Benassi 5.5 (17 ‘st Bandinelli 6); Bajrami 6 (17 ‘st Henderson 6), Verre 5 (6’ st La Mantia 5.5); Pinamonti 5.
Available: Ujkani, Furlan, Cutrone, Di Francesco, Fiamozzi, Cacace, Viti. All .: Andreazzoli 5.5
Admonitions: Sturaro, Yeboah, Portanova, Rovella (G); Verre, Luperto, Bandinelli (E)
– Genoa drew all six league games, equaling the streak recorded between September and October 1992.
– Alexander Blessin drew all six league games at the helm of Genoa: the last coach to do so was Leonardo Semplici between March and April 2018 with SPAL.
– Genoa and Cadiz are the two teams that have not yet achieved a home success in this championship in the five major European championships: the rossoblùs have not won at Ferrari in 16 games (8N, 8P).
– Genoa have not scored in 14 matches in Serie A this season, more than any other team: in the five major European leagues only Norwich (16) have lost more often.
– Genoa and Empoli are two of only five teams that have not yet achieved a championship victory in 2022 in the five major European leagues, such as Rayo Vallecano, Granada and Hertha Berlin.
– Genoa have made at least two shots with seven different players in the match against Empoli: the highest number in a single match of this Serie A.
– Empoli are the team against which Genoa have made the most shots on target in this Serie A, among the teams already faced in the first leg and return (14). The two challenges against the Tuscans, in fact, are those in which the Griffin has hit the opponent’s mirror several times (7 in the first leg and 7 in the return).
– Empoli have not found the goal for three consecutive Serie A away games for the first time since April 2017 (four).
– Albert Gudmundsson created seven chances for his team-mates in the match against Empoli, the highest number among Genoa players in a single Serie A match.
– In general, Albert Gudmundsson took part in 10 shots for Genoa against Empoli (three shots, seven chances created): more than any other Rossoblù player in a single match of this championship.