On Wednesday morning, the positions of the border guards on the demarcation line near the “Marjinka” checkpoint in the Donetsk region were fired on, the border guard said in a statement. The enemy used 82 mm mortars. Three loads hit the place where the guards were on duty. As a result of the gunfire, no one was killed or injured. Defensive fortifications were damaged – handed over.
“The armed formations of the Russian Federation continue to disregard the agreements on a total and comprehensive ceasefire on the demarcation line,” the border guard said. A ceasefire agreement between Ukrainian troops and pro-Russian separatists has been in force in Donbas since last July, which the negotiators of Ukraine, Russia and the OSCE have achieved under the so-called contact group. However, the truce is broken.
On Tuesday, the main intelligence management of the Ukrainian defense ministry announced that Russian-controlled forces in the Donbas are increasing combat readiness and are conducting large maneuvers with the participation of reservists. At the same time, the activation of the Russian propaganda media was observed “in order to” prepare further false materials that would discredit “Ukrainian forces,” it was underlined.
On Monday, the head of the Ukrainian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Dmytro Kuleba, stated that “Russia has increased the intensity of disinformation, including by unjustifiably accusing Ukraine of allegedly preparing for a military attack in Donbas.” He assured that Ukraine is not planning an offensive military operation in the east of the country. Earlier that day, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Ukraine has “aggressive ideas” regarding Donbas. He also announced that, in Russia’s view, Ukraine was preparing for a violent solution to the problem of separatist so-called people’s republics in the Donbass.